6.03.2009

Cabers and Kilts

Who knew Winston-Salem was such a hotbed of cultural diversity?? There was a Celtic festival here a few weeks ago that opened my eyes to the fascinating world of "Scottish Highland Games". Unfortunately we were only able to stay for two of the events, the Scottish Hammer throw and the Caber Toss. Behold the Hammer Throw:



One of the kids of the family we were with asked me "Why does he have to scream like that?". I told her that it looks like it hurts.

The other event we saw was the Caber toss, where the men basically take a huge log and try to throw it up in the air so that the the top end hits the ground then flips over and lands in a "12 o'clock" position. I don't even know how they pick the darn things up.




All in all it was an extremely interesting and educational experience, and I wish we could have stayed for the rest of the events (actually, now that I think about it, that was definitely the hottest and most humid day of the year so far and I was ready to get the heck out of there and take a shower. This old lady standing in front of us at the games actually passed out it was so hot!).

Teri even showed up with Maizey eventually just to make the day that much more special ;) Baby Maia is obviously not scared of dogs, she kept trying to stick her hands right inside Maizey's mouth! Haha, fearless.



1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have seen the log throwing! Too bad it was a hot and humid day and my dog was dying!

    Thoes pictures with Maizey and Maia are hilarious! She was fearless!

    ReplyDelete