2.23.2010

Subject Intent

This week for my Concept class, we had to pick one subject and photograph is 5 different ways, for 5 different "meanings". The point was that subject matter, can be totally different than the actual subject of an image. For instance, someone might take a picture of a grave, but the subject of the image isn't the tombstone itself, it's death.
In case it's not obvious by now, Brent is totally my new favorite model. Why did I never use him before?? He follows directions (mostly) he's easy to bribe (treats, backrubs, etc), he's readily available, he's fun to be around, he's cute...seriously, I should have started using him a long time ago! I took a couple pictures when we were in bed reading (a new daily occurrence for us before we turn the lights out each night, Brent is reading "Return of the King" in these pics - good choice!) and decided that to keep the series unified I would take them all "in bed"...sexy I know!! Ok, so here are my fab 5:

1) Depictive Subject - show it like it is, the subject matter is the subject. Easy.
 2) Expressive Subject - use the subject matter to express a feeling/mood/emotion. See if you can guess what I was going for here ;)  This is funny because it wasn't staged, he was just getting tired.




















3) Illustrative Subject - use the subject matter to tell a story or create a narrative. Since I finished my books (Abhorsen Series - Garth Nix - highly recommended if you're a fantasy lover like me) Brent has been reading aloud to me, he's got a great "Gollum" voice ;)





















4) Statement Based Subject - make a statement about something with subject matter. Can you guess?





















 5) Form Based Subject - the lines/shapes/contours of the subject matter become the subject. This is my favorite!! Haha. Sorry to those of you who hate feet...I know you're out there.























What do you think? Did I nail it?? No grade yet on this one, I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

  1. 1 - Hi Brent!

    2- Boredom? (I'm guessing he was trying to get through one of the singing sections of the book.)

    3- I would love to hear his Gollum voice. Tonight? Can I borrow those books when you're done?

    4- You're feeling a bit slighted since he's checking text messages while in bed. :)

    5-SICK.

    You totally nailed it. I give you an A+ and I'll give you brownies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the feet picture. But I totally know people who are feet-phobes. What's up with that?

    Still waiting on when you can come out here and take pictures of my family. Bring it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get a bangin' grade! Your shots are great and well explained, I feel a little smarter after reading that post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun shots! They all have a nice cozy feel. I love it when Brian reads to me. We once read a novel over the phone when we were dating long distance. Brian does gollum too. We will have to have a gollum-off and compare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys...Teri, I knew there were feet-o-phobes hanging around here!! haha. I love NICE feet. Not gross ones (likes ones with toenails falling off...barf!). Oh yeah, and #4 is actually supposed to be "getting up early SUCKS" - but your interpretation is equally worthy.

    Janie - I got an A-!!!

    Janine - After he read this Brent goes, I do NOT have a Gollum voice! I was like, um, yes you do!! So funny, he doesn't even know he's doing it.

    Meliss - it WILL happen one of these day. It will. Also, it might help if your kids could stay out of the hospital/clinic for more than a few days at a time. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete