2.16.2010

Color Temperature...gone horribly wrong...

This week I had two assignments, the first was for my color class and we had to take photos in different types of light (natural and tungsten) using different white balances. To put it simply, your eyes compensate for the different temperatures of lights we see every day from varying sources and we never even have to think about it, and if you put your camera on "auto" it will also compensate for you. BUT, if you're in manual mode on your camera and you use the wrong white balance, such as a tungsten setting in natural daylight, this will happen:



Our challenge was to use the different colorcasts in meaningful ways, not just make it a "technical exercise" and take three shots of the same thing in different types of light (which most people in my class did...can people not read???). So I told Brent to just relax his face and think about nothing so that the color temperature would drive the mood, which I think it does...doesn't he look depressed?? Good shot for Valentines Day ;)

This was the "natural shot" under daylight conditions, with a daylight white balance (though you can see that there is some tungsten coming from behind her). Fitting I think, for such a sweet little girl...





The last shot is tungsten light shot with a daylight white balance and I was going for "creepy" - looking out the dark window across to the neighbors dimly lit house with my blurry reflection hard to make out...I explained this, but my teacher said he didn't really "get it". Whatever! I think it's creepy (though I'll admit it's not my favorite).
Oh yeah, and my theme for this assignment was "Windows"...in case that wasn't clear ;)

Happy V-day by the way! The McNaughties are HUGE fans of cheese fondue (or any fondue really) but we haven't had the best experiences making it ourselves...but this time we got it perfect. Mmmm...Gruyere and Camembert melted to perfection...highly recommended.


1 comment:

  1. Like the first one. Brent looks sad. as if he's looking out at snow wishing he was with his buddies (me). Second one, i feel should have been focused on the babies face, although it still works, and i don't get the last one. ha! just kidding, i hate it when genius is stifled by ignorant teachers. None of my teachers ever got my stuff.

    ReplyDelete